EGR 1 consists of Jasper, Lake, LaPorte, Newton, Porter, Pulaski and Starke counties.
Economic Growth Region 1 Analysis
EGR 1 is located in northwest Indiana, bordering Lake Michigan and Illinois.
Region 1’s “singing sand” dunes of Lake Michigan greet visitors to the state’s only National Park, Indiana Dunes. A revolutionary war site, the Battle of Le Petit Fort, and Octave Chanuet’s glider experiments also took place here. The Grand Kankakee Marsh, whose waters the explorer LaSalle plied, was where General Lew Wallace penned Ben Hur. Thousands of migrating sandhill cranes draw visitors to the Medaryville area, while geologists still debate the origins of the Kentland Dome in Newton County.
Hammond is the setting for A Christmas Story, and Toto, a small community in Starke County, was Frank Baum’s inspiration for the name of Dorothy’s dog in The Wizard of Oz. The steel mills are legendary and Indiana’s international port, Burns Harbor, is one of this region’s trans modal strengths.
In Region 1, health care and social assistance and manufacturing account for the lion’s share of jobs by industry. The largest occupations are sales and related and food preparation and serving related. The region’s educational institutions include Indiana University–Northwest, Purdue University–Northwest, Ivy Tech, Valparaiso University and Calumet College of St. Joseph.
Access archived publications via the Publication Lookup Tool.
Click on any quick stat to view details and a comparison table.
Top 10 Occupation Clusters by Growth
(2014-2024 long-term projections)
- Healthcare practitioners and technical occupations
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners
- Healthcare support occupations
- Food preparation and serving related occupations
- Food and beverage serving workers
- Sales and related occupations
- Office and administrative support occupations
- Construction and extraction occupations
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations
- Transportation and material moving occupations
Dive into the long-term occupation projections with the Employment Outlook Projections Tool.
Top 10 Industry Sectors
(Based on 2020 annual average employment)
- Health Care and Social Services
- Retail Trade
- Accommodation and Food Services
- Admin, Support, Waste Management
- Public Administration
- Transportation & Warehousing
- Educational Services
- Other Services (Except Public Administration)
Access multiple data sets on the Industry topic page.
Major Employers (Based on number of employees)
Explore even more employers by location, size class or industry with the Business Lookup Tool.
- Franciscan Health Hammond
- Franciscan Health Dyer
- Community Hospital
- Alverno Clinical Labs LLC
- Northwest Health-Porter
- Fanduel Sportsbook at Blue
- Franciscan Health Crown Point
- US Steel Corp
- Methodist Hospital Southlake
About the data
Major Educational Institutions
|Indiana University Northwest||Four-year||Gary|
|Purdue University - Calumet||Four-year||Hammond|
|Purdue University - North Central||Four-year||Westville|
|Ivy Tech Community College - Northwest||Two-year||Gary|
|Calumet College of Saint Joseph||Independent||Whiting|
|College of Court Reporting, Inc||Independent||Hobart|
Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education
Use INTraining to search for
training and education programs
Largest Cities and Towns in Economic Growth Region 1
|Name||Population in 2021||Percent of region||County|
Source: U.S. Census Bureau annnual population estimates
Helpful Tools and Resources
At-a-glance details about the region's population, labor force, housing and more.
Get a snapshot of critical population and workforce statistics for each county in the region.
Find job postings and training for the jobs that are both high wage and high demand.
Discover the regional mix of occupations and/or industries to gain insight into strengths or identify gaps.
Build a region to view demographics, commuting patterns, industry clusters and occupation clusters, including the ability to include counties that border Indiana.
These are the official labor force projections to 2050 released in September 2018 by the Indiana Business Research Center.
The commuting data page provides easy access to multiple commuting data sets and visualizations.
- Center of Workforce Innovations
- NIPSCO Economic Development
- Northwest Indiana Business Roundtable
- Northwest Indiana Center for Data and Analysis
- Northwest Indiana Forum
- Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission
- NWITimes.com (information source for Northwest Indiana, produced by the Times)