Unemployment Claims (County Level, Weekly)
The unemployment claims data includes claims for each week and does not exclude claims for people with earnings or payment deductions. Claims are reported by county of residence and are not based on county of employment.
County-level claims counts for Great Recession EUC (Emergency Unemployment Compensation) and EB (State Extended Benefits) are available on this site. State-level Great Recession EUC and EB data are not available here, and instead are provided on the Employment Training and Administration (ETA) website.
Initial and continued claims counts displayed here may not agree with official counts posted elsewhere due to exclusion of denied continued claims and use of the compensable week rather than the filing week for inclusion in the counts (i.e., eliminates multiple week claims filed at the same time).
Going forward, we expect to post updates weekly and will update the prior 4 weeks of data each time a new week is posted in order to capture updates to previously filed claims.
Source: State-level data come from the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration (ETA). Sub-state data come from the Indiana Department of Workforce Development.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an initial claim?
Any notice of unemployment filed to request a new determination of entitlement to and eligibility for compensation or to begin a second or subsequent period of eligibility within a benefit year or period of eligibility.
- What is a continued claim?
A claim filed subsequent to the initial claim, reporting continued unemployment. The claimant may or may not receive benefits based on eligibility.
- Does this include Federal CARES Act pandemic assistance claims?
- No, county-level Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) and Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC) Programs are not available at the sub-state level.
- Unemployment claims contain Regular Unemployment Insurance, Extended Benefits (EB), and Unemployment Compensation for Federal Employees (UCFE) .